Maha Rudrabhisheka | Rudrabhishekam Pooja
Lord Rudra or Shiva is known as Abhishekapriya as he loves Abhisheka or anointment with holy water. Rudra, as mentioned in the Rig Vedas is the most ancient form of Lord Shiva. Maha Rudrabhisheka is the most favourite pooja offered to Lord Shiva. Maha Rudrabhishekam pooja is performed with the prescribed ingredients such as honey, curd ghee and milk with chants on the Sri Rudram. The puja wipes out all sins and purifies the atmosphere. It also removes all sorts of planetary doshams.
In Maha Rudrabhisheka pooja, sacred Kalashas are filled with water and the presence of Varuna and holy rivers namely Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Saraswati, Narmada, Sindhu and Kaveri are invoked into the water. With that water alone the Lord will be anointed by chanting the hymns, especially the Rudra Chamaka. The main part of this Pooja is the Rudram which will be chanted throughout. This pooja gives one the full blessing of Lord Shiva.
In Maha Rudrabhisheka Lord Shiva is worshiped in his Rudra form, and it is hailed by all Vedic scriptures as one of the greatest Pooja to remove all evils, to attain all desires and for all round prosperity. Rudrabhishekam is particularly performed for the sake of cleansing ones sins and afflictions, for bringing peace, prosperity and happiness, along with the bonding in the family. Rudrabhishekam is usually performed on ones ‘Janma Nakshatra’. It is commonly accepted that for any venture to be successful, one must seek the blessings of lord Ganapati hence Maha Ganapati Pooja is performed first without fail.
Significance of Maha Rudra:
Sage Satapatha in his treatise ‘Maharnava Karma Vipaka’ listed four types of abhisheka procedures in line with Vedic and scriptural lore. Abhisheka is the most favourite form of worship for lord Shiva. These are listed as Rudram, Ekadasa Rudram, Maha Rudram and Athi Rudram – each being more powerful than the preceding one. Maha Rudra abhishekam is the most popular among devotees.
During Maha Rudra, Namaka recited once along with recital of Chamaka one time constitutes one Rudram.
11 recitations of Namakam + 1 Anuvaka of Chamakam is called Ekadasa Rudram i.e. after chanting the Namakam, the first anuvaka of Chamakam is chanted afterwards, then another round of Namakam is chanted followed by the second Anuvaka of Chamakam, and so on until the 11th chanting of Namakam is followed by the 11th Anuvaka of Chamakam.
· 11 rounds of Ekadasa Rudram chanting is one Laghu Rudram
· 11 rounds of Laghu Rudram chanting is one Maha Rudram (1,331 times of chanting)
Every step of the Maha Rudra Maha Homam involves Rudrabisheka for Shiva lingam that immensely pleases the lord.
Benefits of performing Maha Rudrabhishekam:
- To obtain blessings and divine grace of Lord Shiva
- Performing Maha Rudrabhisheka alleviates all difficulties and the malefic effects of various planets
- Performing Maha Rudra helps in achieving greater health, wealth, longevity, progeny, intelligence and prosperity
- Achieve success in career, job, business and relationships
- Get relief from life threatening diseases, ailments and negative energies
- To achieve spiritual up-liftment and fulfillment of all your desires
- Helps in removal of mortal fear and enables victory over enemies
Our Service Assurance:
Pureprayer offers Rudrabhishekam Pooja as service at your home or at the temple, performed by Vedic Priests and scholars who can speak multiple languages, including English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu etc. Our puja package includes the Purohit charges & Pooja Samagri.
- Astrology support to help devotees with pooja related queries
- Arranging for Vedic Pandits and purohits for the pooja
- All puja related samagri
- All transfers from devotee location to Temple and local transportation in AC vehicles (if performing at a temple)
- Transparent puja pricing and explanation of procedures
Online Puja & Homam Service:
Pureprayer offers online homam and puja services for devotees who cannot be present in-person at the pooja location. We perform all poojas and homas at any of our network of pooja mandirs, Kshetras and Homa Kuteeras. Our qualified vedic purohits will perform the pooja as per the prescribed procedures with a sankalpam. We can create a short video of the sankalpa along with the mantra chanting and sent to the devotee on WhatsApp. If the devotee prefers to remotely participate during the pooja or homam, we can connect with the purohits at pooja mandirs via a live video call using any of the video calling apps (WhatsApp, Zoom, Duo or Skype).
Puja Samagri (Pooja Materials):
- Abhisheka dravya – Gangajal, Gulab Jal (Rose water), milk, cane juice
- Panchamrit – a mixture of cows milk, curds, honey, sugar and ghee
- Water mixed with gangajal for achamana
- Dhoop, Incense sticks, Camphor, Ghee Dia (lamp), Rudraksha mala, Viboothi
- Sandal paste, aromatic oils, paneer (aromatic water), rice
- Turmeric Powder – 1 Packet
- Kumkum – 1 Packet
- Panchapathra Udharini
- Kalasa Vasthram – 1 Towel or 2 Yards Fabric, Dhoti, Saree
- Small and big trays, cups (2 each)
- Ghee, Sugar, Sugar Candy (Misri)
- Coins (rupee coins)
- Naivedhya (offering) – Any sweets, clothes, fruits, flowers, Honey, Milk, Yogurt (curds), Paneer jal, Bilva Patra (bilva leaves), Dhatura, Betel leaves, betel nut, Bhel Fruit, Coconut
Frequently asked Questions:
What is Rudrabhishekam?
Rudrabhishekam pooja is performed with the prescribed ingredients such as honey, curd ghee and milk with chants on the Sri Rudram. The puja wipes out all sins and purifies the atmosphere. It also removes all sorts of planetary doshams.
Why Rudra Abhishek is done?
Rudrabhishek is performed to invoke lord Rudra, the most powerful cosmic force mentioned in the Vedas. Rudrabhishek is performed to please and impress lord Shiva in his Rudra form, who is seen as the protector of his devotees and destroyer of the evil forces.
How is Rudrabhishekam performed?
During the Rudrabhishekam pooja, Namakam and Chamakam is chanted. Chamakam is a Vedic hymn chanted for health and prosperity. Chamakam or Rudra Chamaka is considered to be a very auspicious chant, and is. usually chanted on auspicious occasions like marriage, housewarming ceremony, etc.
Can we do Rudrabhishekam on Amavasya?
These are the dates suitable to perform the Rudrabhishek. Auspicious Dates are: 1st, 4th, 5th, 8th, 11th, 12th and amavasya of Krishnapksh and 2nd, 5th, 6th, 9th, 12th and 13th days of Shuklapaksh.
Can we do Abhishekam in evening?
Yes. Rudrabhishekam can be done in the evenings. .Days on which Ardhra Nakshatra falls in the month of Margashirsha are considered very special and auspicious (Thiruvathira – Wikipedia), when people perform Abhishekam for Lord Siva through out the night.