The Navamee (ninth day) of the Shukla Paksha (Bright fortnight) of Chaitramaas in the Hindu Santan calendar is of a great significance. This marks the birth of Lord Ram who was an incarnation of Lord Vishnu in Treta Yug. Ram was born to King Dasharath and Kaushalya in Ayodhya. This is a day for celebration to the Hindu devotees. The festival is called “Sri Ram Navamee”. For celebrating Sri Ram Navamee in your homes, please read on.
Ram Navamee is celebrated by performing Parayan (periodic readings) of the sacred book of Ramayan. Akhand Paath from Ramcharitramanas, Bhajan, kirtans, readings and spiritual discourses, are performed in every house. Pujas are performed beautifully embellishing Sriram’s image. Bhajans, kirtans, other poojas and aarti, as well as distribution of ‘Prasad’ (holy offering from God) are carried out.
How to perform Ram’s worship?
You have to get up early in the morning and complete the everyday rituals. You have to observe fast. Prayers are offered with fruits and flowers in the morning. Chanting of hymns are continued till close to afternoon to the time of Punarvasu Nakshatram. Offer the Naivedyam (dishes) like Kosambari (salads of Chanadaal and gramdaal garnished), Payasam (Peeyush), pooranpoli and many more. Worship is carried out Shodashopachar Puja (sixteen steps). Tulsi leaves are essential for His worship. Some use Lotuses for the worship.
Celebrating Sri Ram Navamee in your homes is also done with Gulal (colors) as in Holi festival.
Engage your kids:
You can also use the occasion to engage kids by making them write the Naama Ramayan as a way of worship. You can download the Naama Ramayan here. Kids would enjoy a good session of writing competition with the award being sumptuous quantity of Prasad.
You can listen to the famous musician Smt. MS Subbulakshmi reciting the Naama Narayan here: https://tinyurl.com/t74th53
Ram as an example:
Sriram is an example of the ideal son, brother, husband, king, friend and enemy. Sriram practiced Dharma to completion. Hence, he is referred to as ‘Maryadapurushottam’.
During Sriram’s rule in the Tretayug, it was not just Sriram who was wise, his subjects, too, were prudent. Hence, during Ram’s reign not a single complaint was brought to his court.
Real Kingdom of Ram:
The real kingdom of Sriram dwells within ourselves. The implied meaning of this is absolute control over the five sense organs, five motor organs, mind, subconscious mind, intellect and ego.
Ideals of Ram:
- Ideal son: Ram always obeyed his parents.
- Ideal brother: Ram-Lakshman’s love is cited as the ideal of brotherhood.
- Ideal spouse: Ram was devoted to his one and only wife Sita.
- Ideal friend: Ram helped Sugreev, Vibhishan and many more during their difficulty.
- Ideal King: Ram followed right codes of conduct for Kings as laid down in scriptures.
- Ideal Enemy: When Vibhishan refused to perform the last rites of his brother Ravan, Ram said to him-”If you do not do it, I will. He was my brother too!”
Ram’s Human Nature
Ram displays emotions of happiness & unhappiness just like humans do. (His melancholy at Sita’s abduction is an example.) Hence, we feel closer to Ram, than we feel towards other Deities.
The implied meaning of the Ramayana in our lives:
- Lakshman refers to the focus on the soul, instead of the worldly
- Bharat signifies a seeker engrossed in the worship of radiance
- Shatrughna is the one who destroys the six foes (Shadripus) of the soul
- Rama, Sita and Lakshman together stand for spiritual knowledge, devotion and detachment respectively
- Hanuman is the activated Kundalini
- Ravana embodies the 6 enemies of a human being which are desire, anger, greed, attachment, vanity and envy
Have a safe and enjoyable Sri Ram Navamee at your homes!
|| Jai Sriram ||
Pureprayer is a leading App based and web based platform offering Puja-Homa-Pariharas and SpiRitual Journeys-Darshan and Puja packages to several important holy and sacred destinations.
Please visit our website www.pureprayer.com or call us on +91 8151002255, WA No: +91 9900821000 to learn more.
Please visit our Pureprayer facebook page to follow us and discover more.